"There's a lot of talent at this law firm. Connnatser Family Law attorneys have the knowledge, strength, and experience to guide clients and help them accomplish their goals."
Mike DeBruin is a Dallas family lawyer who brings a rare combination of divorce-related expertise, attention to detail, and high ethical standards to his practice. He is Of Counsel with Connatser Family Law.
Furthermore, in 23 years with the area’s largest family law firm, Mike built a reputation for creative problem solving and the ability to communicate his solutions to clients and other attorneys.
Mike is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. In addition, he is one of Texas’ Best Lawyers (Woodward White 2009-2011) and has made the list of Texas Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters 2003-2013). He was selected one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas by D Magazine (2018).
“We are honored to have Mike join our firm,” says Aubrey Connatser, Managing Member of Connatser Family Law. “He has a depth of experience that few attorneys have, and he is always generous in sharing his knowledge with others.”
Many of Mike’s cases involve complex property and business matters, child custody and visitation issues, asset tracing, tax matters and the validity of marital agreements. His clients include professionals in law, medicine and finance, high-level business executives, professional athletes and their spouses.
He is a member of the Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists and the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and a former member of the Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Child Support and Child Visitation. Mike has also written articles and made presentations at family law seminars on trial skills, the tax aspects of divorce, asset tracing and the problems of child support.
Mike was born February 22, 1954. He graduated from the University of Minnesota (B.A.,1977) and the South Texas College of Law (J.D., 1980).
B.A., 1977, University of Minnesota
J.D., 1980, South Texas College of Law
Professional Activities, Honors & Awards
Member – Aubrey M. Connatser, P.L.L.C., January 2014 – Present
Shareholder – KoonsFuller, P.C., 1990 – 2014
Board Certified, Texas Board of Legal Specializations: Family Law 1990
Member – American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Member – Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists
Member – State Bar of Texas (Family Law Section)
Member – Dallas Bar Association
Best Lawyers in America – 10 years
Texas’ Best Family Law Lawyers – 2003 – 2015
Texas Super Lawyers – 2003 – 2018
Publications and/or Lectures
“Premarital Agreements in Texas” at the Dallas CPA Society CPE Conference (2010) and presenter on the subject of characterization
“Different Ways to Trace Separate Property” Panelist/Presenter at the New Frontiers In Marital Property Law Conference (2008)
“Property: Tracing Economic Contribution Reimbursement” Panel Moderator at the 32nd Advanced Family Law Course (2006)
“Mediation Prep: From The Advocate’s Viewpoint” at the 25th Advanced Family Law Course (1999)
“Property Experts: Who to Hire, What They Do, What to Ask” at the 21st Advanced Family Law Course (1995)
“Trial Skills with the Experts” at the 1994 17th Annual Marriage Dissolution Institute (1994)
“Basics Of Family Law In Texas” at the 3rd Annual Dallas Chapter TSCPA Divorce Conference (1994)
“Tax Aspects Of Divorce In Texas” and “Tax Issues Of The Marital Residence” for the Tax Aspects Of Divorce In Texas Seminar (1993)
“The Basics of Asset Tracing” at the Dallas Chapter of the Texas Society of CPAs seminar (1992)
“Problems And Pitfalls Regarding Child Support” for the Family Law in Texas “Winning” for Your Client Seminar (1991)
“Proving And Refuting Reimbursement Claims” for the Family Law in Texas “Winning” for Your Client Seminar (1991)
Mike’s representative clients include:
- A former executive of a Fortune 500 company in a divorce proceeding with a substantial estate, complex retirement benefits and a comprehensive retirement package.
- A former major league baseball player in a custody modification action to obtain primary possession of his son.
- A real estate partner in a divorce/custody action that involved characterizing the partnership interests and restrictions on the spouse’s possession of the children.
- The CEO of a mid-sized corporation in connection with a divorce action and a contested premarital agreement.
- A wealthy Dallas resident with child custody issues, complex property issues, a premarital agreement and more than one post-marital agreement.
- The wife of a wealthy Dallas resident with children and a substantial estate managed and controlled solely by the husband.
- A physician in a divorce involving custody issues and valuation of a medical practice.
- The wife in a divorce action where both parties were executives of a major Fort Worth company, involving licensing agreements, personal goodwill, valuation of the company, and custody issues.
- The CEO of a substantial Texas corporation seeking to control the ex-spouse’s possession of the children due to substance abuse concerns.